Thursday 16 January 2014

Pho Hung Vuong Saigon

A weekend in December saw Mum, my sister and myself making a weekend trip to Melbourne for a wedding, which was absolutely beautiful! 

The morning after the wedding, we were absolutely exhausted but still, Mum was determined to visit Footscray. We were craving pho as comfort food and to soothe our headaches and a quick search on Urbanspoon told me that a popular Pho eatery was literally just a few doors down from where we were standing! We took it as a sign and visited Pho Hung Vuong Saigon.


I feel as though Adelaide doesn't really have many, if any, places open in the morning to have pho as a breakfast option. It is the norm in Vietnam where there are a plethora of soup options alone for breakfast! However, I guess pho would be a really heavy meal in the morning...




 Special beef combination rice noodle soup (small) $8.50

SO delicious! I like how the stock wasn't overly sweet and had a really rich meaty flavour. I also really liked the rice noodles themselves (scroll down 2 images to see them). They were different to the ones you'd find in Adelaide.

Grilled chicken rice noodle soup (small) $8.50

Feeling a little adventurous that morning, I ordered this. I've never seen anything like this on a menu before so I wasn't too sure what to expect. The chicken had a great flavour and tasted like it would have been perfect in a Vietnamese rice dish. However, I didn't really enjoy it sitting in the soup! Definitely an interesting menu item, but I don't think I'll order this if I visit again.

 The rice noodles

They were much thinner and softer than those I've had in Adelaide, and tasted a lot better, too!

 Fresh coconut juice $3

Definitely not fresh. And definitely overpriced. But oh so good! My tip would be to buy these at your local asian grocers - they cost less than a dollar.

 Hot soya bean milk $3

 Cold fresh lemon drink $3.50

I think this is a great place to enjoy a good bowl of pho and I'll definitely be back if I'm ever in Melbourne again! I highly recommend the beef rice noodles. 

 Pho Hung Vuong Saigon on Urbanspoon


While wandering around after breakfast, I stumbled across people setting up for a fair of some sort, and had a glimpse of some Melbourne food trucks! There was no way I could have eaten anymore after breakfast so unfortunately I couldn't try any of their offerings. Cute trucks, though!



No comments:

Post a Comment