Sunday 21 September 2014

Steven Ter Horst Chocolatier

For weeks and weeks now (months, probably), my best friend Angela has been raving about the salted caramel tart at Steven Ter Horst and how ridiculous it is that I haven't tried it. I knew it had to be good when she jokingly told me that she'd have to chloroform form and drag me there if I didn't go soon. At least I think she was joking...
She finally convinced me to go and we made it an afternoon dessert date with our other counterpart, Natalie! (#triplethreat ;) )









Citron House Made Iced Tea $7.50
Lemon, yuzu, earl grey & fresh mint

This was the perfect drink to have on a warm afternoon! We all really enjoyed this, although I have to say it tasted a lot more like traditional homemade lemonade than it did an iced tea. I couldn't taste any  of the tea at all.

Apple $9
Cheesecake mousse, whipped caramel and poached apple insert on an almond jaconde sponge

My favourite colour is green so of course this caught my eye immediately when I was looking at the cake display while deciding what to order. I was told that was the first day they began serving this as it's part of their new Summer menu which they are slowly introducing in store. They hadn't even put a description for it on display, yet. I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to try a brand new dessert! I found that it was very light and airy due to the cheesecake mousse with very subtle apple flavours. It wasn't too sweet, which I personally really enjoyed, and I think it would be perfect for someone who doesn't enjoy very rich and decadent dessert. Also, perfect for summer because it doesn't leave you feeling weighed down and sluggish!

Mascarpone Dream $9
Mascarpone mousse, praline caramel creameux, hazelnut daquoise & caramel glaze

Daaang this was good. Definitely more decadent than the Apple but still light because of the mousse. Our favourite part was the thin caramel layer sitting over the base which was chewy and ever so slightly salty. We'd definitely recommend this!

Salted Caramel Tart $8.50

Ah, finally, the tart! It was just what I'd hoped after hearing Angela go on about it for weeks. A thick, decadent layer of chocolate ganache sat on top of a layer of delicious, sticky, perfectly balanced salted caramel, all encased in a buttery pastry. I did expect it to be overwhelmingly rich but I think the slight bitterness of the chocolate ganache helped make it more enjoyable overall. I could probably eat a tablespoon of that salted caramel, too. 


I had a fantastic first experience here and wouldn't hesitate to come back! All the cakes look beautiful, taste amazing and are definitely worth that little bit extra over what you'd pay elsewhere for something average. Definitely a fantastic way to treat yourself once in a while!
The service was also fantastic with the people behind the counter being very friendly, patient and helpful, explaining the new menu items, then presenting them beautifully and bringing them out to us within a few minutes of placing our order. Steven Ter Horst is located in the perfect location on Rundle St for an after dinner indulgence or just an afternoon treat. I've also heard about their dessert degustations which sound incredible. Pay them a visit guys, I promise you won't be disappointed!


Steven ter Horst Chocolatier on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment